Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Decision: PRESCHOOL

OK - this is going to be a long one. Pardon all the spelling errors!

Last week was quite an ordeal. My DS was in kindergarten and doing just fine. I found my self asking - what do I do with DD? I didn't know what to do... how could I challenge her and still get the things done that I needed. I started really thinking about things. And wondering why I had decided that she should stay with me another year. She turned 4 in June. And... I thought I would spend this year concentrating on my DS and his school in the mornings and then the next year when he is in all day - I could concentrate on her. But I didn't do the MATH the best that I should have. I had intended her to be a MORNING child too. But after realizing that there was ABSOLUTELY no way that she could be a morning child with the pre-school prgram I had selected. If that was part of what aided in my decision making. It was inaccurate. I was only allowing myself a 15 minute window to get from here to there in the AM-- and again from here to there around lunch time. THAT WAS NOT REAL!

OH MY -- so, regardless if I had kept her home another year, she could not be an AM child.
SO - that started the ball rolling and for me to look at the whole picture...was it fair to HER for me to keep her another year out of convenience for me? I will tell you, that this debate went on and on. ( and a big shout out to THANK all of you who listened ) A mom just wants to do the right thing. And what exactly is that. The bottom line came down to this. Yes, she has some "social quirks" and that can all be ironed out in Pre-school. But just b/c she has a few more quirks than my DS has - that doesn't mean she is not ready. AND, I would feel better giving her the chance to "get ready". B/c if she is not ready for Kindergarten at age 5 - I CAN do another pre-school option. But I felt so odd about her being 6 years and 2 months old and starting kindergarten. I do think that she has learned alot from her brother -- and she is ready.

AfterI had gotten through most of these mixed feelings - it was time to call the pre-school to see if they had room. I knew if they did, it was meant to be -- AND THEY DID. The reason that this pre-school experience is so important to me is b/c #1 - I LOVE the TEACHER and #2 - The success that my DS had and #3 - The swim lessons every friday!

So, that is, for the most part, how the decision was made.

No comments: